About Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera: The only confirmed thing is that Canon is actively working on a full frame mirrorless camera. And Canon already filed several patents for full frame mirrorless camera: 30mm f/2.8 DO lens, 50mm f/3.5 Macro IS lens and an EF/EF-S adaptor.
We know Canon is behind Sony and Fuji in the mirrorless competition. And Canon started to take mirrorless seriously with the Canon EOS M5 ($929), so for Canon, launching a new full-frame mirrorless camera is really an important and a better choice. Hope Canon can announce a mirrorless like Sony a7RII ($2,698) or Sony a9 ($4,498).
The previous rumor said the upcoming Canon full frame mirrorless camera will be EF mount and some sort of early prototype already existed although it never came out of Canon’s labs. Maybe it is still undergoing lab tests and development.
The following rumor is NOT confirmed by trusted sources, so just take it with a grain of salt (from CR):
Canon Full Frame Mirrorless Camera Rumors:
- The goal is to announce a full frame mirrorless camera for Photokina 2018 which takes place in September of that year.
- EF mount will be native
- New exclusive image sensor for the camera.
- New sensor technology required for the EF mount in a mirrorless application
- There will be no new “dedicated” lenses, but mirrorless will be “considered in all future EF lens design”
- 4K video is considered a necessary feature in all full frame cameras going forward
- One full frame mirrorless camera body to start
- There is testing at Canon of a more hybrid approach between DSLRs and Mirrorless cameras. What that looks like we don’t know.
In addition, Canon EOS 6D Mark II DSLR camera is rumored to be announced in July 2017 and it will be released soon after the announcement.
New Canon Deals: Save up to $550 on Canon Cameras.