Looking for the best memory cards for Sony a7 IV? Here are our top recommended & fastest CFexpress cards and SD cards for Sony a7 IV mirrorless camera.
The Sony a7 IV has dual memory card slots: The card slot 1 supports both the fast CFexpress Type A cards and the UHS-II SD cards while the card slot 2 is only compatible with UHS-II SD cards. In addition, the Sony a7 IV features many of Sony’s most advanced imaging technologies, including the latest BIONZ XR processing engine and advanced AF (autofocus) capabilities from the flagship Sony a1 combined with streamlined operability and enhanced reliability for photos and movies, making it the perfect all-around camera for today’s imaging enthusiasts and professionals. So, with advanced AI-based autofocus, evolved movie technologies and greater streaming and sharing functionality, the Sony a7 IV is a well-rounded camera suitable for all kinds of photography.
As we mentioned above, the Sony a7 IV (Amazon, B&H, Adorama) has 2x memory card slots: 1 x CFexpress Type A / SD (UHS-II) card slot and 1 x UHS-II SD card slot. Although SD cards and CFexpress Type A cards are not the same in size, the Sony a7 IV card slot 1 will accept either card type. So, in order to get the ultra high read speeds (transfer speed) and write speeds (fast buffer clearing time) to get the best out of your Sony a7 IV camera, here we list the top recommended & fastest CFexpress Type A cards and SD cards for the Sony a7 IV mirrorless camera based on the speed and price. Just choose the one you like.
Best CFexpress Cards (Type A) for Sony a7 IV
The Sony a7 IV card slot 1 supports both the fast CFexpress Type A cards and the UHS-II SD cards.
Right now, there are only 6 CFexpress Type A cards up for grabs. To get the best bang for your buck, look out for the one currently on special!
- Delkin Devices BLACK CFexpress Type A Card: Delkin Devices BLACK CFexpress Type A Card boasts superior value at a more economical cost than Lexar’s Gold Series. Not only is it able to reach maximum read speeds of 880 MB/s and maximum write speeds of 790 MB/s, but it has minimum write speeds that stay above 400 MB/s, making it ideal for photography and video in 8K, 6K, and 4K with high bitrates and frame rates. Plus, this card is waterproof, shockproof, and temperature-resistant. Get it in either 80GB or 160GB, plus enjoy the peace of mind that comes with a 48-hour replacement guarantee and lifetime warranty.
- Delkin Devices POWER CFexpress Type A Card: The Delkin Devices POWER CFexpress Type A Cards offer the same speed and performance as the BLACK series cards, but at a more affordable price – they’re available in both 80GB and 160GB capacities. Although both have the same read speed, the larger 160GB card has a slightly faster write speed – without the 48 Hour Replacement Guarantee included in the BLACK cards.
- Lexar Gold Series Professional CFexpress Type A Card: Lexar’s Gold Series CFexpress Type A Card is built for high performance, offering lightning-fast read speeds of up to 900 MB/s, write speeds of up to 800 MB/s, and a minimum sustained write speed that won’t dip below 700 MB/s, so it’s perfect for capturing high-resolution images and 8K video. It even meets the VGP-400 video class standard. Plus, it’s ultra-durable and comes with a limited lifetime warranty; it resists extreme shock and vibration, temperatures, X-rays, electrostatic, and UV lighting. Boasting 80GB and 160GB capacities, this card is one of the fastest CFexpress Type A cards available.
- Sony TOUGH CFexpress Type A Card: The Sony TOUGH CFexpress Type A cards come in a range of capacities, from 80GB to 640GB, making them the largest on the market. Boasting read speeds up to 800 MB/s and write speeds up to 700 MB/s, they are the perfect choice for recording a variety of video resolutions, bit-rates, and compressions, as well as high-resolution continuous raw photo shooting. This remarkable memory card is also shockproof and resistant to extreme temperatures, X-rays, electrostatic discharges, and UV light – truly the best of the best. Highly recommended!
- ProGrade Digital Cobalt CFexpress Type A Card: The ProGrade Digital Cobalt CFexpress Type A card is a powerhouse of speed, providing read speeds of up to 800 MB/s and write speeds of up to 700 MB/s – plus, a minimum write speed of 400 MB/s guarantees continuous, uninterrupted recording, no matter the codec, including raw 4K, 6K, and 8K videos. Though not as indestructible as Sony cards, these feature a metal shell that stands up to intense heat and improves heat dissipation. With a capacity of 160GB and a 3-Year warranty, it’s a great choice for power users.
- Exascend Essential CFexpress Type A Card: The Exascend Essential CFexpress Type A Cards come in 120GB, 180GB and 240GB capacities, allowing you to store all your 8K RAW footage and more without having to worry about running out of space. Not only that, but these cards can write up to 700MB/s and read up to 800MB/s, giving you the power to capture seamless 8K RAW and beyond.
|CFexpress Type A Cards||Max. Read Speed||Max. Write Speed||Buy Now|
|Delkin Devices BLACK CFexpress Type A Card||880 MB/s||790 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Delkin Devices POWER CFexpress Type A Card||880 MB/s||790 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Lexar Gold Series Professional CFexpress Type A Card||900 MB/s||800 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Sony TOUGH CFexpress Type A Card||800 MB/s||700 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|ProGrade Digital Cobalt CFexpress Type A Card||800 MB/s||700 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Exascend Essential CFexpress Type A Card||800 MB/s||700 MB/s||Amazon | B&H|
Best UHS-II SD Cards for Sony a7 IV
Both Sony a7 IV card slots are compatible with the UHS-II SD cards. Speaking of the UHS-II SD cards, the Sony SF-G Tough UHS-II SD Card (V90), Kingston Canvas React Plus UHS-II SD Card (V90), PNY X-PRO 90 UHS-II SD Card (V90), ProGrade Digital UHS-II SDXC Card (V90), Delkin Devices Power UHS-II SDXC Card (V90) are top five fastest and the most popular UHS-II SD cards on the market.
The Kingston Canvas React Plus can perform just as well as the Sony SF-G Tough cards but for almost 40% cheaper and it comes in 256GB size. Another wallet-friendly option is the PNY X-PRO 90 UHS-II SD Card (V90), with remarkable performance at a great price.
The Sony SF-G Tough Series UHS-II SD card is currently the world’s fastest and most expensive SD card on the market and the top choice for you. Offering maximum read speeds of up to 300 MB/s and maximum write speeds of up to 299 MB/s, the Sony SF-G Tough UHS-II SD Card is well-suited for video capture, including 8K, 4K XAVC S, 60p AVCHD, 3D, HFR, and Full HD video, as well as super fast continuous shooting. In addition, thanks to its V90 speed class rating, minimum write speeds are guaranteed not to drop below 90 MB/s.
Alternatively, you may wish to consider the ProGrade Digital UHS-II SDXC Card (V90) and the Delkin Devices Power UHS-II SDXC Card (V90), two of the most popular SD cards available at a reasonable price. Both promise a speedy, reliable experience that won’t stretch your wallet.
If you need some budget choice, you can also consider the Sony SF-M Tough UHS-II SD Card (V60) and the ProGrade Digital UHS-II SD Card (V60). Below are the top recommended UHS-II SD cards for Sony a7 IV mirrorless camera based on the speed and price, just get the one you like!
Read more: Best Lenses for Sony a7 IV.