Here are our top recommended memory cards for Sony a7R V mirrorless camera, including CFexpress Type A cards and UHS-II SD cards.
The Sony a7R V has dual memory card slots that both support CFexpress Type A cards and UHS-II SD cards, just like the Sony a1. Although SD cards and CFexpress Type A cards are not the same in size, both card slots in the Sony a7R V will accept either card type.
The Sony a7R V (Amazon, B&H, Adorama) is clearly one of the best Sony cameras with a 61MP full-frame sensor, all-new AI-based autofocus system with advanced subject recognition, 8K video recording, 8-stop image stabilization, a 4-axis multi-angle LCD monitor, a 9.44 mil dot EVF, and a laundry list of internal and external upgrades appealing to photo and video shooters alike.
So, in order to get the ultra high read speeds (transfer speed) and write speeds (fast buffer clearing time) to get the best out of your Sony a7R V camera, here we list the top recommended & fastest CFexpress Type A cards and SD cards for the Sony a7R V mirrorless camera based on the speed, reliability and price.
Best CFexpress Type A Cards for Sony a7R V
The Sony a7R V supports the ultra-fast CFexpress Type A cards in both card slots. The CFexpress Type-A cards are much more expensive than SD cards, but if you shoot a lot of continuous bursts, you’ll notice that they clear the buffer much faster.
Currently, there are only 5 CFexpress Type A cards on the market. We highly recommend purchasing whichever card is cheaper at the time.
- Lexar Gold Series Professional CFexpress Type A Card: The fastest CFexpress Type-A card on the market. They delivers read speeds of up to 900 MB/s, write speeds of up to 800 MB/s, and minimum sustained write speeds that won’t drop below 700 MB/s. Additionally, it is compliant with the VGP-400 video class standard, which guarantees write speeds of at least 400 MB/s. To help safeguard your data, Lexar built this card to resist temperatures ranging from 14 to 158°, as well as shock and vibration. Available in both 80GB and 160GB capacities.
- Delkin Devices BLACK CFexpress Type A Card: Super fast, include a 48 Hour Replacement Guarantee and a limited lifetime warranty, 80GB and 160GB capacities. Cheaper than the Lexar Gold Series, great value!
- Delkin Devices POWER CFexpress Type A Card: Affordable choice with excellent performance just like the BLACK cards (without a 48 Hour Replacement Guarantee).
- Sony TOUGH CFexpress Type A Card: Available in 80GB, 160GB, 320GB and 640GB capacities, the Sony TOUGH is the largest CFexpress Type-A cards you can get on the market. Furthermore, this Sony TOUGH memory card is able to withstand falls from up to 15′, has been rigidity tested to 70 N, and is resistant to extreme temperatures, X-rays, electrostatic discharges, and UV light.
- ProGrade Digital Cobalt CFexpress Type A Card: Another affordable choice! They may not have the same level of durability as the Sony cards, but they do have a metal shell or casing that allows them to withstand high temperatures and provides improved thermal conductivity. In the event that your card overheats, the thermal throttling that is built into it will safeguard both the card and the data stored on it.
|CFexpress Type A Cards||Max. Read Speed||Max. Write Speed||Buy Now|
|Lexar Gold Series Professional CFexpress Type A Card||900 MB/s||800 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Delkin Devices BLACK CFexpress Type A Card||880 MB/s||790 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Delkin Devices POWER CFexpress Type A Card||880 MB/s||790 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Sony TOUGH CFexpress Type A Card||800 MB/s||700 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|ProGrade Digital Cobalt CFexpress Type A Card||800 MB/s||700 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
Best SD Cards for Sony a7R V
Both Sony a7R V card slots also supports the widely used UHS-II SD cards. I’d strongly advise saving your money and purchasing one of the quicker SD cards if you don’t often shoot continuous bursts. The Kingston Canvas React Plus cards often provide very comparable levels of performance as the Sony SF-G Tough cards, but they cost roughly 40% less and come in 256GB size. In addition, the new PNY X-PRO 90 UHS-II SD Card (V90) is another affordable UHS-II SD card with great performance.
The Sony SF-G Tough UHS-II SD Card (V90) is the fastest and most expensive UHS-II SD cards on the market, and you will never go wrong with it. Aside from that, the ProGrade Digital UHS-II SDXC Card (V90) and the Delkin Devices Power UHS-II SDXC Card (V90) are two of the most well-liked SD cards on the market that can be purchased for a reasonable price. If you are looking for some UHS-II SD cards that don’t break the bank but yet provide speed and dependability, these two cards are an excellent option for you to consider. If you are on a tight budget, you may also want to have a look at the Sony SF-M Tough UHS-II SD Card (V60) and the ProGrade Digital UHS-II SD Card (V60).
Memory Card Readers
Here are some suggestions for card readers to consider purchasing if you do not already own a CFexpress Type-A or UHS-II SD card reader.
|Memory Card Readers||Price||Buy Now|
|Sony MRW-G2 CFexpress Type A/SD Memory Card Reader||$118||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|ProGrade Digital CFexpress Type A & UHS-II SDXC Dual-Slot Card Reader||$79||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Sony UHS-II SD Memory Card Reader||$26.65||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
That’s all the recommendation list. Hope this buying guide can help you get the the best out of your Sony a7R V mirrorless camera.
With a 61MP full-frame sensor, the BIONZ XR image processing engine, AI-powered autofocus, 8K video and a flexible new LCD monitor, the Sony a7R V is an ideal camera for shooting nature, portrait, wedding, wildlife and even sports. Just get it at Amazon, B&H, Adorama.