Here are our top recommended memory cards for Sony a7R V mirrorless camera, including CFexpress Type A cards and UHS-II SD cards.
The Sony a7R V has dual memory card slots that both support CFexpress Type A cards and UHS-II SD cards, just like the Sony a1. Although SD cards and CFexpress Type A cards are not the same in size, both card slots in the Sony a7R V will accept either card type.
The Sony a7R V (Amazon, B&H, Adorama) is clearly one of the best Sony cameras with a 61MP full-frame sensor, all-new AI-based autofocus system with advanced subject recognition, 8K video recording, 8-stop image stabilization, a 4-axis multi-angle LCD monitor, a 9.44 mil dot EVF, and a laundry list of internal and external upgrades appealing to photo and video shooters alike.
So, in order to get the ultra high read speeds (transfer speed) and write speeds (fast buffer clearing time) to get the best out of your Sony a7R V camera, here we list the top recommended & fastest CFexpress Type A cards and SD cards for the Sony a7R V mirrorless camera based on the speed, reliability and price.
Best CFexpress Type A Cards for Sony a7R V
The Sony a7R V supports the ultra-fast CFexpress Type A cards in both card slots. The CFexpress Type-A cards are much more expensive than SD cards, but if you shoot a lot of continuous bursts, you’ll notice that they clear the buffer much faster.
Currently, there are only 6 CFexpress Type A cards on the market. We highly recommend purchasing whichever card is cheaper at the time.
- Delkin Devices BLACK CFexpress Type A Card: The Delkin Devices BLACK CFexpress Type A Card is the perfect combination of superior value and lower cost than that of Lexar’s Gold Series. Offering maximum read speeds of 880 MB/s, maximum write speeds of 790 MB/s, and minimum write speeds that never dip below 400 MB/s, this powerhouse is ideal for raw and continuous-burst photography, 8K, 6K, and 4K video at high bitrates and frame rates. Plus, it’s waterproof, shockproof, and temperature resistant – and it even comes with a 48-hour replacement guarantee and lifetime warranty! With 80GB and 160GB capacities available, the Delkin Devices BLACK CFexpress Type A Card is the perfect choice for power and protection.
- Delkin Devices POWER CFexpress Type A Card: The Delkin Devices POWER CFexpress Type A Card is a wallet-friendly option that performs just as well as the BLACK cards, but without the 48 Hour Replacement Guarantee. Both 80GB and 160GB capacities are offered, both offering the same read speeds but the larger card boasting faster write speeds.
- Lexar Gold Series Professional CFexpress Type A Card: The Lexar Gold Series CFexpress Type A Card is truly one of the fastest cards on the market, boasting read speeds of up to 900 MB/s, write speeds of up to 800 MB/s, and minimum sustained write speeds that won’t dip below 700 MB/s. With the VGP-400 video class standard and the added bonus of being resistant to shock, vibration, temperatures, X-rays, electrostatic and UV lighting, this card is perfect for capturing stunning high-quality images and 8K video. Choose from 80GB and 160GB capacities, and benefit from the peace of mind that comes with the limited lifetime warranty.
- Sony TOUGH CFexpress Type A Card: The Sony TOUGH CFexpress Type A card comes in four capacities: 80GB, 160GB, 320GB, and 640GB – the largest you can find on the market. Offering read speeds of up to 800 MB/s and write speeds up to 700 MB/s, this card is an excellent choice for recording a range of video resolutions, bit-rates, and compressions, as well as capturing high-resolution continuous raw photos. Additionally, it’s shockproof and resistant to extreme temperatures, X-rays, electrostatic discharges, and UV light.
- ProGrade Digital Cobalt CFexpress Type A Card: The ProGrade Digital Cobalt CFexpress Type A card offers incredible read speeds of up to 800 MB/s and write speeds of up to 700 MB/s, making it perfect for recording high-quality raw 4K, 6K, 8K videos and more without any interruptions – plus, it’s guaranteed to always have a minimum write speed of 400 MB/s! Even though it doesn’t have the same toughness as Sony cards, the card’s metal shell provides improved thermal conductivity and can withstand high temperatures. Available in 160GB capacity, it’s backed by a limited 3-Year warranty.
- Exascend Essential CFexpress Type A Card: The Exascend Essential CFexpress Type A Card, with storage capacities of up to 240GB and write speeds up to 700MB/s and read speeds up to 800MB/s, allows for a seamless 8K RAW capture and beyond – eliminating any concerns about running out of storage when capturing those crucial moments.
|CFexpress Type A Cards||Max. Read Speed||Max. Write Speed||Buy Now|
|Delkin Devices BLACK CFexpress Type A Card||880 MB/s||790 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Delkin Devices POWER CFexpress Type A Card||880 MB/s||790 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Lexar Gold Series Professional CFexpress Type A Card||900 MB/s||800 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Sony TOUGH CFexpress Type A Card||800 MB/s||700 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|ProGrade Digital Cobalt CFexpress Type A Card||800 MB/s||700 MB/s||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Exascend Essential CFexpress Type A Card||800 MB/s||700 MB/s||Amazon | B&H|
Best SD Cards for Sony a7R V
Both Sony a7R V card slots also supports the widely used UHS-II SD cards. If you don’t often take continuous bursts of photos, I would highly recommend that you save your money by purchasing the fastest SD cards: the Kingston Canvas React Plus cards can offer comparable performance to the Sony SF-G Tough cards, and cost about 40% less – plus, they come in a 256GB size! Another cost-effective alternative is the PNY X-PRO 90 UHS-II SD Card (V90), which offers great performance at an affordable price.
The Sony SF-G Tough UHS-II SD Card (V90) is the fastest and most expensive UHS-II SD cards on the market, and you will never go wrong with it. Additionally, the ProGrade Digital UHS-II SDXC Card (V90) and the Delkin Devices Power UHS-II SDXC Card (V90) are both excellent and affordable options that have earned a solid reputation in the SD card world. If you are looking for some UHS-II SD cards that don’t break the bank but yet provide speed and dependability, these two cards are an excellent option for you to consider. If you are on a tight budget, you may also want to have a look at the Sony SF-M Tough UHS-II SD Card (V60) and the ProGrade Digital UHS-II SD Card (V60).
Memory Card Readers
Here are some suggestions for card readers to consider purchasing if you do not already own a CFexpress Type-A or UHS-II SD card reader.
|Memory Card Readers||Price||Buy Now|
|Sony MRW-G2 CFexpress Type A/SD Memory Card Reader||$118||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|ProGrade Digital CFexpress Type A & UHS-II SDXC Dual-Slot Card Reader||$79||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
|Sony UHS-II SD Memory Card Reader||$26.65||Amazon | B&H | Adorama|
That’s all the recommendation list. Hope this buying guide can help you get the the best out of your Sony a7R V mirrorless camera.
With a 61MP full-frame sensor, the BIONZ XR image processing engine, AI-powered autofocus, 8K video and a flexible new LCD monitor, the Sony a7R V is an ideal camera for shooting nature, portrait, wedding, wildlife and even sports. Just get it at Amazon, B&H, Adorama.