DxOMark published their test results for the new Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens, which is designed for Sony A7 full-frame mirrorless camera and currently in stock at Amazon, B&H, Adorama for $1,098.
According to the DxOMark, Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro Lens has outstanding optical performance (40 points score). It is the second best Sony FE lens currently that has tested, just two points behind the Sony FE 55mm f.1.8 ZA lens.
“high acutance (sharpness) wide open and very good sharpness across the frame, and vignetting and chromatic aberration (CA) are generally well-controlled.”
Conclusion from DxOMark:
With some innovative cameras in the range, Sony is beginning to fill out the E-mount system with some useful high-quality lenses, and the FE 90mm f2.8 macro is up there with the best in terms of optical quality. The only downside, perhaps, is that the lens is at odds with the perceived benefits for buying into mirrorless systems: sure, the bodies are smaller, but this lens is not significantly smaller nor lighter than rival options. Be that as it may, there’s little wrong with the optical quality of the Sony FE 90mm f2.8 Macro G OSS, and if the size or weight isn’t an issue, then it can be easily recommended.
Sony FE 90mm f2.8 Macro G OSS vs Canon EF 100mm f2.8L Macro IS USM vs Zeiss Makro-Planar T* 100mm f2 ZF2 Nikon comparison: The Sony FE 90mm f2.8 Macro G OSS is even one point better than the $400 more expensive Zeiss 10mm macro lens, so it will be hard for the new Batis 85mm f/1.8 lens to outperform the 90mm FE lens!
Currently, there are 15 Sony FE lenses in the market.
- Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 (B&H)
- Sony FE 28mm f/2 (Amazon | B&H)
- Sony Distagon T* FE 35mm f/1.4 ZA (Amazon | B&H)
- Zeiss Loxia 35mm f/2 Biogon T* (Amazon | B&H)
- Sony Sonnar T* FE 35mm f/2.8 ZA (Amazon | B&H)
- Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 Planar T* (Amazon | B&H)
- Sony Sonnar T* FE 55mm f/1.8 ZA (Amazon | B&H)
- Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 (B&H)
- Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS (Amazon | B&H)
- Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 16-35mm f/4 ZA OSS?(Amazon | B&H)
- Sony Vario-Tessar T* FE 24-70mm f/4 ZA OSS (Amazon | B&H)
- Sony FE 28-70mm f/3.5-5.6 OSS (Amazon | B&H)
- Sony FE PZ 28-135mm f/4 G OSS (Amazon | B&H)
- Sony FE 24-240mm f/3.5-6.3 OSS (Amazon | B&H)
- Sony FE 70-200mm f/4.0 G OSS (Amazon | B&H)
Stay tuned for more info.
Read more: Sony Alpha Rumors