Photokina 2018: In addition to the Fujifilm GFX 50R, Fujifilm Instax Square SQ20 and G Mount Lens Roadmap, Fujifilm also unveiled the GFX 100 Megapixels Concept, the concept of flagship model currently under development as a new addition to the GFX Series.
Fujifilm unveils GFX 100Megapixels Concept
- -Concept for a new flagship model capable of producing world-leading image quality with the world’s highest* 102 million pixels image sensor
- -A new GFX Series medium format mirrorless digital camera incorporating large sensor approximately 1.7 times the size of full-size 35mm image sensor
- -Fully satisfies a diverse range of customer needs with high functionality including high-speed/high-precision autofocus, built-in image stabilization features, and 4K video shooting capability
FUJIFILM Corporation (President: Kenji Sukeno) has unveiled the GFX 100Megapixels Concept, the concept of flagship model currently under development as a new addition to the GFX Series – a medium format mirrorless digital camera series incorporating a large sensor approximately 1.7 times the size of a full-size 35mm image sensor** (43.8mm x 32.9mm.)
[GFX 100Megapixels Concept]
The concept is to create Fujifilm’s flagship model with highest performance and innovative features fully capable of meeting the diverse needs of professional and high amateur photographers. It incorporates the world’s highest* 102 million pixels image sensor which is larger than 35mm full size sensor, realizing world-leading image quality with Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology accumulated over many years and ground-breaking mobility.
<Main features of flagship GFX 100Megapixels Concept model>
(1) Achieves world-leading image quality and superior mobility by incorporating the Fujifilm G Format Image Sensor with the world’s highest* 102 million pixels
- It incorporates the newly developed Fujifilm G Format image sensor with the world’s highest* 102 million pixels. Together with the high-speed image processing engine X-Processor 4, the FUJINON GF Lens which provides ultra-high image resolution, and Fujifilm’s proprietary color reproduction technology accumulated over more than 80 years, the camera produces world-leading image quality, with precise and faithful reproduction down to the finest details.
- It is the first medium format mirrorless digital camera in the world*** to incorporate phase detection pixels throughout the entire sensor (coverage ratio of 100%,) allowing for high-speed/high-precision autofocus wherever in the frame subject is located. This mechanism makes it possible to use autofocus to track moving objects, which was difficult with the traditional system of contrast autofocus, resulting in more precise continuous autofocus and performance capability that exceeds conventional expectations for medium format digital cameras.
(2) Expanding the scope of ultra-high resolution photography through the world’s first-ever built-in image stabilization technology to be incorporated into a medium format digital camera
- Fujifilm has developed a new built-in image stabilization system, the first such system in the world to be incorporated into medium format digital cameras***. As the new image stabilization works with all varieties of interchangeable lenses, it expands the scope of hand-held ultra-high resolution photography with the 102 million pixel sensor.
(3) Meeting the need for high-quality video production with the world’s first*4 medium format mirrorless digital camera equipped for shooting 4K videos
- The combination of the newly developed image sensor with high-speed readout capability and the X-Processor 4 high-speed image processing engine provides a world’s first*4 capability for shooting 4K videos (4K 30p 10bit)*5 with a medium format mirrorless digital camera.
- A medium format sensor, larger than the sensors generally used in high-end cinema cameras, creates greater depth of field for shallow-field subjects, improves reproducibility across a wide range of color tones, and provides superior sensitivity. It gives photographers the ability to easily shoot high-quality movies which capture rich textures and depth as well as a sense of atmosphere present in a scene.
(4) Light, robust vertical grip and integrated magnesium alloy body provides superior utility
- Although the camera incorporates a large image sensor, it is the same size and weight as a high-end digital single lens reflex camera equipped with a 35mm full size image sensor.
It is the first camera in the GFX Series to have a vertically-position grip and an integrated magnesium alloy body, a design which makes the camera extremely robust, while also achieving good holding stability when attaching or removing large interchangeable lenses.
- *As of September 25, 2018. For commercially available mirrorless digital cameras.
- **36mm x 24mm size image sensor
- ***As of September 25, 2018
- *4For mirrorless digital cameras with image sensors of 43.8mm x 32.9mm or larger. Data surveyed by Fujifilm as of September 25, 2018.
- *5It can shoot smooth footage in 4K-quality at 30 frames per second. It is also possible to record a rich range of 10 bit color information. (10 bit is a of color information unit).