DxOMark published their RED Helium 8K sensor review and test results: The new RED Helium 8K camera’s sensor achieved a new all-time-high DxOmark score of 108 points – the highest sensor score DxOmark has seen to date, 10 full points higher than Sony a7RII ($3,198). Really amazing!
RED Helium 8K S35 Camera Key Features:
- HELIUM 35.4 Megapixel CMOS
- 8K 2.4:1 resolution up to 75 fps
- 16.5+ stops of dynamic range
- 300 MB/s data speeds
- REDCODE RAW + Apple ProRes or Avid DNxHR/HD
- Upgrade path to WEAPON 8K VV
Conclusion from DxOMark:
The RED Helium 8K is the most impressive sensor we’ve ever tested. Rating 10 points above the best of the full-frame DSLRs, it stands alone as our top scorer. Its image quality is even more impressive given its very high maximum frame rates. Our only caveat is that the Helium 8K sensor appears to benefit from some noise reduction to enhance its RAW image quality.
We can likely explain the Helium 8K’s improvement over our previous top scorer, RED’s own Dragon, by a combination of both better sensor technology and temporal noise reduction. The upgrade to 8K video and improved image quality across the board make it a clear upgrade from the RED Dragon – and a clear winner. The Helium 8K is an impressive achievement by RED. For those with the budget, its top-of-the-line image quality, high frame rate, and 16-bit RAW capture capability absolutely make it worth considering as a competitor to high-end DSLRs and medium-format cameras for still image capture.
You can read the full review at DxOMark.
- RED Epic Dragon: New DxOMark King First to Break 100-point
- DxOMark Published the Sony RX100 V Sensor Review
- Sony RX1R II Review at DxOMark: New Compact Camera King
- Sony A99II DxOMark Sensor Review: “New Super-Resolution Contender”
- Sony A6500 Sensor Review (by DxOMark): It has the Same A6300 Performance