The new Panasonic Lumix DMC-FZ300 camera has been officially announced along with the new Panasonic Lumix DMC-GX8 micro four thirds mirrorless camera. Blending an all-in one zoom, 4K video recording, and versatile still shooting capabilities, the Lumix DMC-FZ300 from Panasonic is a multi-faceted point-and-shoot optimized for the multimedia image maker. Featuring a 12.1 MP High-Sensitivity MOS sensor and Venus Engine image processor, the FZ300 is capable of recording up to 60 fps with an electronic shutter, 12 fps with a mechanical shutter, or 30 fps using the unique 4K Photo Modes. Working in low-light is benefitted by a top sensitivity of ISO 6400 along with 5-axis HYBRID O.I.S.+ image stabilization to minimize camera shake during HD video recording.
The Panasonic Lumix FZ300 retails for $599 and it will begin shipping on Sep 16, 2015.
- 12.1 MP High-Sensitivity MOS Sensor and Venus Engine
- A 12.1 MP 1/2.3″ High-Sensitivity MOS sensor pairs with the Venus Engine image processor to deliver fast overall performance and notable image quality to suit working in a wide variety of conditions. The sensor and processor combination help to compensate for diffraction to realize sharper, clearer imagery at smaller apertures as well as a top sensitivity of ISO 6400 to suit working in difficult lighting conditions. This processing engine also contributes to a fast 12 fps shooting rate at full-resolution with the mechanical shutter, 60 fps shooting with an electronic shutter, and 30 fps shooting at 8 MP using the 4K Photo modes.
- 4K UHD Video Recording
- In addition to the versatile still shooting modes, the FZ300 also supports recording 4K UHD (3840 x 2160) video with either 30p or 24p frames rates at 100 Mbps in the MP4 format. Full HD 1080p/60 is also supported, as well as slow-motion 720p/120 and 480p/240 recording settings.
A built-in stereo microphone can be used during recordings or an optional external microphone can be utilized via the 3.5mm jack for even clearer sound.
- 4K Photo Modes
- Utilizing the 4K video recording capabilities, a trio of still shooting modes are available for recording continuous 8 MP stills at a 30 fps shooting rate:
- 4K Burst: Just as with video recording, this mode will allow you to continuously record 8 MP images at 30 fps for up to 29 min. 59 sec., making it ideal for instances where you need a fast frame rate in order to capture the best moment.
- 4K Pre-Burst: This mode is suitable for times when you’re unsure of the critical moment to press the shutter button and will record 8 MP images at 30 fps one second prior to and one second after pressing the shutter button in order to give you 60 frames to choose from.
- 4K Burst (S/S): This mode most closely follows the 4K video recording process, and allows you to playback your video, pause at the chosen moment, and use the shutter button to mark a chosen frame from the video and save it as a single 8 MP frame.
- Leica DC Vario-Elmarit 24x Zoom Lens
- The built-in Leica DC Vario-Elmarit lens offers a truly expansive 24x, wide-angle to super telephoto range of perspectives with a 25-600mm equivalent focal length. A constant f/2.8 maximum aperture offers consistent performance throughout the zoom range to benefit working in difficult lighting conditions, especially at the longer focal lengths. Five aspherical elements, with a total of nine aspherical surfaces, as well as three extra-low dispersion elements help to control chromatic aberrations and produce sharp, clear imagery while a Nano Surface Coating helps to reduce lens flare and ghosting for increased contrast.
The lens’ already impressive optical zoom range can be effectively doubled through the use of Intelligent Zoom, to achieve a total magnification of 48x. Extra Optical Zoom (EZ) settings are also available, which crop into the image to generate a narrower field of view, in order to produce 29.4x and 46.9x zoom magnifications at 8 MP and 3 MP resolutions, respectively. Standard digital zoom can be applied as well to, again, increase the effective zoom range by 4x.
- 5-Axis HYBRID Optical Image Stabilization+ and Level Shot
- Helping to compensate for camera shake when recording HD movies, 5-axis HYBRID O.I.S.+ is an advanced image stabilization system that minimizes the appearance of blur when shooting one-handed video. It corrects for five types of camera shake that commonly affect more dynamic movement types that occur while moving when recording.
Also benefitting from the image stabilization system, a Level Shot Function detects the horizon line within scenes and helps to keep it level even if the camera is tilted.
- Body Design and Built-In Wi-Fi
- A 0.39″ OLED Live View Finder features has an impressive 1.44m-dot resolution, 0.7x magnification, and 10,000:1 contrast ratio. An eye sensor is also incorporated into its design to activate the EVF, and deactivate the rear LCD, during use.
- A larger means for image composition and playback, the 3.0″ 1.04m-dot rear OLED monitor has a free angle, tilt and swivel design to support viewing from a variety of angles. It is also a touchscreen, which permits intuitive menu navigation and settings control.
- The FZ300 features a durable design that incorporates extensive sealing at each joint, dial, and button to render it both splash- and dust-proof.
- The ergonomic body design features a large right-hand grip, rear and side dials for shutter speed and aperture settings control, and four assignable function buttons for quick access to your most frequently used settings. Additionally, the lens features a two-speed zoom design and a left-handed lever for balanced overall handling.
- Built-in Wi-Fi allows you to pair the FZ300 with smartphones or tablets running the Panasonic Image App for wireless image transferring and remote camera control.
- Depth-From-Defocus AF Technology
- For accelerated autofocus performance, DFD (Depth-From-Defocus) technology is employed to quickly calculate the distance to subjects and adjust the focusing position to benefit continuous shooting and movie recording modes. This contrast-detection type focus method also benefits subject tracking performance for maintaining sharp focus on moving subjects. Additionally, supporting working in low-light conditions, a Starlight AF feature enables accurate AF performance in dim environments.
Benefitting manual focus operation, focus peaking is available that highlights bright edges of contrast with a colored outline for quickly recognizing your focus point, as well as Touch MF Assist for touch-to-focus operation.
- Other Camera Features
- A dedicated macro mode allows you to focus on subjects as close as 0.4″ / 1cm-away.
- Raw image files can be processed in-camera for a more streamlined post-production workflow.
- A mechanical shutter enables a maximum shutter speed of 1/4000 sec. and an electronic shutter function avails a top shutter speed of 1/16,000 sec. to better enable working in bright conditions and with wider aperture settings.
- Creative Panorama mode allows you to create seamless panoramic imagery by simply panning about the scene to capture wide-field views.
- A built-in pop-up flash can be used to provide additional illumination to scenes.
- The included lithium-ion battery provides approximately 380 shots per charge when using the rear LCD monitor, or 360 shots per charge with the electronic viewfinder.
- Create Control modes: Expressive, Retro, Old Days, High Key, Low Key, Sepia, Monochrome, Dynamic Monochrome, Rough Monochrome, Silky Monochrome, Impressive Art, High Dynamic, Cross Process, Toy Effect, Toy Pop, Bleach Bypass, Miniature Effect, Soft Focus, Fantasy, Star Filter, One Point Color, and Sunshine.
- Still image Scene Guide modes: Clear Portrait, Silky Skin, Backlit Softness, Clear in Backlight, Relaxing Tone, Sweet Child’s Face, Distinct Scenery, Bright Blue Sky, Romantic Sunset Glow, Vivid Sunset Glow, Glistening Water, Clear Nightscape, Cool Night Sky, Warm Glowing Nightscape, Artistic Nightscape, Glittering Illuminations, Handheld Night Shot, Clear Night Portrait, Soft Image of a Flower, Appetizing Food, Cute Dessert, Freeze Animal Motion, Clear Sports Shot, and Monochrome.
- Photo Style settings: Standard, Vivid, Natural, Monochrome, Scenery, Portrait, Custom, Cinelike D, and Cinelike V.
- Picture Adjustment settings: Contrast, Sharpness, Noise Reduction, Saturation, Color Tone, and Filter Effect.
|Body type||SLR-like (bridge)|
|Max resolution||4000 x 3000|
|Other resolutions||4:3 (3264 x 2448, 2048 x 1536), 3:2 (4000 x 2672, 3264 x 2176, 2048 x 1360), 16:9 (4000 x 2248, 3840 x 2160, 1920 x 1080), 1:1 (2992 x 2992, 2448 x 2448, 1920 x 1920)|
|Image ratio w:h||1:1, 4:3, 3:2, 16:9|
|Effective pixels||12 megapixels|
|Sensor photo detectors||13 megapixels|
|Sensor size||1/2.3″ (6.17 x 4.55 mm)|
|Color filter array||Primary color filter|
|White balance presets||5|
|Custom white balance||Yes|
|Image stabilization notes||5-axis hybrid IS in movie mode|
|JPEG quality levels||Fine, standard|
|Optics & Focus|
|Focal length (equiv.)||25–600 mm|
|Autofocus assist lamp||Yes|
|Digital zoom||Yes (4X)|
|Normal focus range||30 cm (11.81″)|
|Macro focus range||1 cm (0.39″)|
|Screen / viewfinder|
|Articulated LCD||Fully articulated|
|Screen type||TFT LCD|
|Minimum shutter speed||60 sec|
|Maximum shutter speed||1/16000 sec|
|Flash range||8.80 m (at Auto ISO)|
|External flash||Yes (via hot shoe)|
|Flash modes||Auto, auto w/redeye reduction, forced on, forced on w/redeye reduction, slow sync, slow sync w/redeye reduction, forced off|
|Continuous drive||12.0 fps|
|Exposure compensation||±3 (at 1/3 EV steps)|
|AE Bracketing||±3 (3, 5, 7 frames at 1/3 EV, 2/3 EV, 1 EV steps)|
|Resolutions||3840 x 2160 (30p, 24p), 1920 x 1080 (60p, 60i, 30p, 24p), 1280 x 720 (30p), 640 x 480 (30p)|
|Storage types||SD/SDHC/SDXC card|
|USB||USB 2.0 (480 Mbit/sec)|
|Remote control||Yes (wired or smartphone)|
|Environmentally sealed||Yes (Water and dust resistent)|
|Battery description||Lithium-ion battery & charger|
|Battery Life (CIPA)||380|
|Dimensions||132 x 92 x 117 mm (5.2 x 3.62 x 4.61″)|