Sony officially announced the new Sony PXW-FS7 II XDCAM Super 35 4K camcorder. The new model builds on the original FS7’s strengths by adding advanced features including Electronic Variable ND technology, a lever lock type E-mount, and a new mechanical design for faster and easier set-up. The new FS7 II camcorder also supports Sony’s a Mount System, which includes more than 70 lenses. The new FS7 II camcorder is designed for long-form shooting and production applications, especially documentaries and independent filmmaking.
The FS7 II is planned to be available in January 2017 for an estimated street price of $10,000 (body only) and $13,000 for the camcorder with 18-110mm power zoom lens kit. And it is now available for pre-order at B&H.
Sony PXW-FS7 II Camcorder Highlights
- Super 35-Sized CMOS Sensor
- Locking Sony E-Mount
- Integrated Electronic Variable ND Filter
- DCI 4K (4096 x 2160) up to 59.94p
- UHD up to 59.94 fps, HD up to 180 fps
- XAVC-I/L, MPEG-2, XAVC up to 600 Mb/s
- Supports Rec. 709 and BT-2020
- Dual XQD Memory Card Slots
- Dual HD/3G-SDI & HDMI Output
- Ergonomic Handgrip with Camera Controls
Sony PXW-FS7 II incorporates a stronger locking E-mount that is fully compatible with E-Mount lenses, and supports all electronic connections. The locking mount reduces lens play, and allows you to use most 35mm lenses including PL, EF, Leica, and Nikon via optional adapters. This stronger E-mount is ideal for using heavier-long cine-zooms without the need for additional lens support.
New Sony FS7 II: A Conversation with Sony Product Manager Juan Martinez
Sony is also introducing an FS7 II kit model including a new E-mount, Super 35mm lens. The new lens, model SELP18110G, covers Super35mm and APSC sensors. The lens is compatible with Sony a Mount System cameras, including the α7 series interchangeable-lens cameras and professional Super 35mm 4K camcorders like Sony’s FS7 or FS5. Although perfectly suited for still image taking, filmmakers will fully appreciate the lens’ extended creative capabilities for shooting motion images.
- APS-C/Super35 E-Mount Lens
- Aperture Range: f/4 to f/22
- One Aspherical & Two ED Elements
- Smooth Motion Optics
- No Focus Shift or Lens Breathing
- Switchable Manual and Servo Zoom
- Internal Focus
- Optical SteadyShot Image Stabilization
- Control Rings for Focus, Zoom, and Iris
- Removable Tripod Foot
The FS7 II supports the XQD memory card format, designed for capturing and transferring high-bandwidth, high resolution files. Sony is also introducing a new XQD card, QD-G256E — with an industry first 256 GB capacity – which enables a recording time of approximately 45 minutes at 4K 60P and 3.5 hours at 2K 30P. Combined with a read speed of up to 440MB/s and write speed of up to 400MB/s, users can shoot for longer without needing to change media cards.
For more information, please visit www.sony.com/fs7ii.
Read the full press text at Sony.com
- New Sony FS E-mount 4K Camcorder to be Announced Soon
- New Sony 4K Camcorder to Have the Same Sony a7S Sensor and Internal 4K Recording
- Sony PXW-Z150 4K Camcorder with 1″ Exmor RS CMOS Sensor Announced
- Sony PXW-Z150 4K XDCAM Camcorder Announced
- New Sony E-mount 4K Camcorder Rumored Specs, Announcement on September 11