Yahoo Japan recently had an interview with Nikon executives and here are some key points to share with you:
1. The Nikon camera business is undergoing a major restructuring.
2. Nikon will “bringing in multiple mirrorless cameras at an early stage”.
3. In the future Nikon will concentrate their resources on medium to high-end DSLR cameras and lenses as well as mirrorless cameras.
4. Nikon will have fewer models in the future.
You can read full interview below: (Translated by Google)
For the camera business undergoing structural reforms, Nikon showed a policy of “bringing in multiple mirrorless cameras at an early stage”. Senior Managing Executive Officer, Chairman and CEO of Camera Business, responded to the interview. We respond to the needs of shooting scenes and functions, and devise measures to take an aggressive approach to rebuild the camera. Meanwhile, the production system said “There is no idea of closing domestic and overseas major plants at the present time” (Managing Executive Officer).
The company decided to discontinue release of the high-end compact camera “DL series”, and product development was drawing attention. Although we have not disclosed the completion time of the mirrorless lineup, it seems that a couple of years after the mirrorless market exceeds the SLR market will be a guide.
In the future, we plan to concentrate management resources on medium- and high-end SLR cameras and lenses and mirrorless cameras that can make the most of their strengths. However, Miller less struggled with fewer models and said, “We will set aside for other companies, we will get Nikonelike things” (same). Also review the commercialization process such as condition setting from the user’s point of view, eliminating the deviation from user needs. Meanwhile, “I want to do the royal road of the high-class compact in the future, but because I just decided to cancel the DL series, I will judge the next development carefully” (same).
The production structure enhances cost competitiveness through in-house production of outsourcing processes and efficiency of production.
- New Nikon “High-end” Mirrorless Camera Coming?
- New Nikon D5X Coming in 2017 to Compete with Fuji GFX 50S Medium Format Mirrorless?
- Sony Will Concentrate on Full-Frame Cameras to Beat Canon and Nikon
- Nikon Large Sensor Mirrorless Camera Might Happen One Day
- Nikon D5600 DSLR, COOLPIX A300 and W100 Cameras Announced in the US