Leica officially announced the new Leica M-D (Typ 262) camera without an LCD screen. Leica M-D (Typ 262) is the first Leica M-Series camera without an LCD screen. The usual location of the screen on the back of the camera is now taken by the ISO sensitivity setting dial – one of the few, but essential, features of the camera. Technically speaking, the new Leica M-D (Typ 262) camera is basically a Leica M (Typ 262) without the LCD screen. The Leica M-D offers the ultimate in digital rangefinder photography. No LCD screen leads to more freedom for creative photography.
Radically reduced to the most important parameters required for photography – shutter speed, aperture, distance and ISO sensitivity – it promotes its users’ concentration on what is essential: the picture.
The US price of Leica M-D (Typ 262) is $5,995, and the camera package includes a real-leather carrying strap in full-grain cowhide.
From Leica Store:
Reduced to the essentials both in features and design, the Leica M-D (Typ 262) embodies the essence of rangefinder photography. For features, it has setting options for ISO values, aperture and shutter speeds. Design wise, the camera excludes an LCD monitor, menu controls and Leica red dot logo. It features the classic step at the end of the top plate.
The images from the Leica M-D (Typ 262) are characterized by outstanding contrast, exceptional detail resolution and low image noise. It is ideal to shoot with available light.
The discreteness and compact size of the camera allows photographers to not only get close to the action, but into the heart of where it’s happening.
Benefits at a Glance
- Compact digital M camera concentrating solely on the traditional rangefinder focusing and picture taking methods
- Quieter shutter mechanism for more discreet shooting
- 24 megapixel CMOS sensor (still-pictures only) ensures exceptional image quality (same as M/M-P (Typ 240)
- Leica Maestro processor for fast recording of captured images
- ISO values up to 6400 ensure great quality images in low light
- Fast and accurate manual focusing
- All the essential controls and functions logically and ergonomically placed
To learn more about this camera, head over to Leica’s website.