The Sony a7 III was officially announced in February 2018, which means it is almost 3 years old. So, it is highly likely that the Sony a7 IV will come in Q2 – Q3 of 2021, and there is a strong possibility that we might see some exciting changes made for the Sony a7 IV.
The Sony a7 IV is rumored to be equipped with a 30MP image sensor, stepping up from the Sony a7 III‘s 24MP. Moreover, the Sony a7 IV is expected to be price at $2,499 USD, exactly the same as the Canon EOS R6, and it is likely to be a camera in the price range one level higher than the $2,000 class Nikon Z6 II and Panasonic S5.
Below is the Sony a7 IV Rumored Specifications (predicted by CameraJabber):
- Camera type: Full-frame mirrorless
- Sensor: Full-frame 30Mp BSI CMOS
- Processing engine: Bionz XR
- Sensitivity: ISO 50-204,800
- Autofocus system: Hybrid with 693 phase detection points and 425 contrast detection points, Real Time Eye AF (Human and Animal for stills and video)
- Stabilisation: 5-axis IBIS and digital, up to 5.5EV shutter speed compensation
- Video resolution: 4K at up 60fps and 1080p at 240fps, 10-bit and 4:2:2 colour over HDMI
- Gamut: S-Log2 and S-Log3, S-Gamut3.Cine and S-Gamut3
- Still File formats: Raw, JPG, HEIF
- Screen: 3-inch 1,440,000-dot vari-angle touchscreen
- Viewfinder: 0.5-inch OLED with 3.69million dots
- Maximum continuous shooting rate: 10fps with mechanical or electronic shutter
- Storage: Dual: SD/SDHC/SDXC (UHS-II) and CFexpress Type A
- Launch Price: $2,499
According to the expected specifications, the new 30MP sensor, 4K60p video, high-resolution EVF and monitor, CFexpress slot, etc. are adopted, and it seems that competitiveness is sufficient in this price range. However, continuous shooting has faster rivals, so you may want a little more speed.
You can also see the upcoming Sony cameras & lenses in 2021.
Note: Join the Sony Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Sony photography and advice, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!