Samyang officially announced the large aperture standard zoom “AF 35-150mm f/2-2.8 FE Lens” for Sony full frame E mount mirrorless cameras.
The Fast All-Rounder Zoom
The Samyang AF 35-150mm F2-2.8 FE has a maximum aperture of F2 at its widest and F2.8 at the telephoto end, which covers the five main focal lengths (35mm/50mm/85mm/135mm/150mm). With its wide zoom range, the lens is designed as a fast all-rounder that covers a broad range of shooting scenarios, from portraits to travel.
In addition, the excellent optical design of the lens provides superior resolution right to the edge, and the Linear Stepping Motor allows faster and more accurate AF performance.
With the addition of various video-specialized functions, the lens will satisfy both photographers and videographers. Dolly shot mode and Linear MF mode, which can be used with a custom switch, help you shoot more professionally.
Enjoy easier and more convenient photography and video shooting with Samyang AF 35-150mm F2-2.8.
Samyang AF 35-150mm f/2-2.8 FE Lens At a Glance
- Aperture range: wide angle: F2.0 – F16, tele: F2.8 – F22
- Optical design: 21 elements in 18 groups
- Special lenses: ASP 2, HB 1, HR 3, ED 6
- Coating: Ultra Multi Coating
- Minimum focusing distance: 33 cm (Wide) and 85 cm (Tele)
- Zoom ratio: 0.175x(1:5.7) and 0.18x(1:5.5)
- Number of aperture blades: 9
- Filter Diameter: 82mm
- Max Diameter: 92.8mm
- Mount: Sony FE
- Viewing angle: full frame – 61.8˚ and 16.4˚, APS-C – 43.3˚ and 11.0˚
- Length: 157.4mm (Wide) and 197.9mm (Tele)
- Weight (excluding lens cap and hood): 1224 g
- All weather seal
Here a first review from Tom Calton:
AF 35-150mm F2-2.8 FE Key Features
Covering everything between 35mm and 150mm
Samyang has moved a step forward with its innovative second-zoom lens to provide a more convenient user experience. The lens is remarkably versatile as an all-in-one lens with fast maximum apertures and provides a solution for photographers seeking to avoid lens changing. It was clearly designed for a portrait photographer, but the wide zoom range is also useful for everyone shooting commercials, events and travel imagery.
Outstanding Resolution, from corner-to-corner
Thanks to the latest optical design of 21 elements in 18 groups and featuring an optimal combination of 2 ASP, 1 HB, 3 HR and 6 ED elements the lens presents superior optical performance throughout the entire zoom range. When combined with Sony’s full-frame image sensor, the AF 35-150mm F2-2.8 FE delivers high image quality to the edges of the frame with plenty of contrast.
Fast and accurate AF performance
The lens’ Linear Stepping Motor (STM) is fast and highly responsive to both photographers and videographers. It delivers excellent focus tracking and smooth transitions, from the Minimum Object Distance (MOD) to infinity. Its fast maximum aperture also helps you control camera movement by allowing a higher shutter speed or reducing noise by choosing a low ISO. The system is compatible with Sony’s Fast Hybrid AF, and Eye AF camera functions as in-camera lens corrections for shading, chromatic aberration, and distortion.
Impressive bokeh with a bright F2-F2.8 aperture
The large aperture of the AF 35-150mm F2-2.8 FE presents an attractive background blur to the image’s out-of-focus areas. It effectively separates the subject from the background, using a shallow depth of field to capture a unique image in which the background is compressed. The lens employs 9 diaphragm blades, creating a smooth and attractive bokeh.
Premium design and usability.
Since introducing the 2nd Generation lenses, Samyang has introduced the ‘Hidden red ring’ design that has become part of the brand’s design identity. The new design improves the look and usability of the lens, reflecting customer feedback, with enhanced tactile controls for focusing and precise focal length adjustment. A lock switch on the body helps users keep the lens set at its shortest 35mm position and is useful for protection during travel.
Enhanced Functionality with custom switch & button
The two round buttons made of soft rubber have a focus save function which can store 2 points of focus. In addition, three custom mode switches on the lens can be pre-programmed via the optional Lens Station, allowing you to set up the mode to suit your preference.
Optimized features for video shooting
1) Dolly Zoom Shot: The Dolly Zoom is a powerful in-camera cinematic technique. A professional dolly can be expensive and challenging to operate, but this lens allows you easily take the dolly shot.
2) Cinematic Video AF: When shooting video, the AF speed is more carefully adjusted than photo shooting, resulting in lower wobbling and highly stable movie shooting.
3) Linear MF Focus Control: Provides convenience to video shooters by matching the torque of the focus ring as closely as possible to that of a manual focus lens when shooting video in manual mode.
4) Digital Par-Focal: Digital Par-focal is specialized for video shooting as it can maintain focus on the subject when zooming in or out. Since this function is usually mounted in expensive cine zoom lenses, it provides a more special experience and results to customers who use this zoom lens.
Considering the users’ shooting environment, the lens is designed to be completely weather sealed at the mount and throughout the body. Weather sealing is adopted in 12 areas to prevent damage or contamination from dust, light rain, and snow.
Short Minimum Focal Distance 0.33m (1.08ft)
The AF 35-150mm F2-2.8 delivers superior close-up shooting performance for an all-rounder zoom. At the 35mm wide-angle end, the MOD (Minimum Object Distance) is 0.33mm. Combined with the lens’s fast apertures, it produces a unique perspective close to the subject while presenting a beautifully blurred background. Users can also take dynamic close-up shots at the 150mm telephoto end with a MOD of 0.85m. It makes taking portraits with exaggerated features easier, food on tables, etc.
The lens has now been officially listed at Samyang Global.