Panasonic has announced the LUMIX GH6 firmware update program Version 2.2 to allow USB-to-SSD recording, improvements in raw recording ISO limits, and improved image quality.
The firmware program will be available on the LUMIX Global Customer Support website at 9 p.m. EDT on September 27, 2022.
Support for direct recording to SSD over USB
Firmware update program Ver.2.2 supports direct recording and playback of video/photo using an external SSD connected via USB. The update enables recording directly on a 2TB capacity USB drive (SSD) high-quality, low-compression Apple ProRes 422 HQ (Maximum 1.9Gbps) or high-bitrate, large-volume 4:2:2 10-bit All-Intra. Data files recorded on the SSD can be easily transferred to PC via USB, which makes the post-production process more efficient by minimizing backup work.
* High frame rate video exceeding 60.00p cannot be recorded to an external SSD.
* It is not possible to record video and photo on the SD card or CFexpress card simultaneously while recording it on the external SSD.
* Use an external SSD no more than 2 TB in size that is compatible with USB Type-C. We recommend using an external SSD whose operation has been confirmed by Panasonic. Note beforehand that this is not a guarantee of operation on all devices.
* Latest information on the external SSDs will be available at the following support site at the same time as firmware release: https://panasonic.jp/support/global/cs/dsc/connect/index.html
Panasonic GH6 Firmware Version 2.2
1. Support for SSD recording over USB
– Pictures and videos can now be recorded and played back with a commercially available external SSD connected to the USB port.
*Note beforehand that this is not a guarantee of operation on all devices.
*It is not supported in some video recording modes.
*We recommend using an external SSD whose operation has been confirmed by Panasonic.
For the latest information about external SSDs, check the following support site:
2. Other improvements
– ISO [8000/10000/12800] can now be selected when [HDMI Raw Data Output] and [Dynamic Range Boost] are set to [ON].
Please download the operation instructions from here for more details about the specification change.
First introduced in February 2022, the highly-regarded LUMIX GH6 has been recognized for its exceptional video performance and handling among existing and new GH users worldwide. It will continue to evolve with firmware updates to further enhance its performance and usability to meet the changing needs of creators. Firmware updates are a key value-added service to provide future-ready solutions for more flexible filmmaking workflow using mirrorless cameras.
* Apple and ProRes are trademarks or registered trademarks of Apple Inc. in the United States and/or other countries.
* The USB-IF Logos are trademarks of USB Implementers Forum, Inc.
* Other trademarks and trade names are those of their respective owners.
* All functions may not be available depending on the situation.
* Design and specifications are subject to change without notice.