Nikon has announced the new NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 lens for Nikon Z mirrorless camera systems, a portable and lightweight ultra-wide angle zoom lens that provides users with exceptional versatility.
Nikon did the same thing with its Nikkor Z 28-75mm F2.8 lens, which appears to be a reworked and rebadged Tamron 28-75mm F2.8 Di III VXD lens, so this Nikkor Z 17-28mm F2.8 looks like a ‘Nikonized’ version of Tamron’s 17-28mm F2.8 Di III RXD lens.
Its focal length offers users a diversified and convenient shooting experience, from capturing vivid night scenes, to everyday snaps – all without having to switch between multiple lenses. Housed in a compact body, the lens is easy to bring around for travels, equipping users with the ability to capture beautiful cityscapes and landscapes on the go.
The NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 is an ultrawide-angle zoom lens that covers the 17- to 28-mm range of focal lengths with a fast constant maximum aperture of f/2.8. This lens not only offers the excellent portability achieved with a total length of approximately 101 mm*1 and a weight of approximately 450 g, but also provides superior optical performance. Adoption of two ED glass, one Super ED glass, and three aspherical lens elements delivers stable resolution throughout the zoom range. The lens responds well to a variety of scenes and subjects for a broader range of expression utilizing the unique perspective afforded by an ultrawide-angle lens, as well as the fast f/2.8 maximum aperture and 0.19-m*2 minimum focus distance that enable dynamic expression to emphasize the primary subject.
In an effort to make the lens easier to use with video recording, the NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 is equipped with high-speed AF control that realizes smooth focusing, even with moving subjects, plus a stepping motor (STM) and control ring that achieve even quieter and smoother operation.
The NIKKOR Z 17-28mm f/2.8 offers a fast constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 in a compact and lightweight body, yet is affordable. This ultrawide-angle lens is easy to carry around, both in town and while traveling, allowing users to enjoy expressing themselves through images as intended.
- Coverage of the ultrawide-angle 17-mm to wide-angle 28-mm range of focal lengths makes this lens the perfect choice for a wide variety of scenes and subjects, including street photography, landscapes, and portraits.
- The fast constant maximum aperture of f/2.8 throughout the zoom range allows for natural bokeh expression and reduces the effects of camera shake when shooting in low-light conditions.
- The compact and lightweight design with a total length of approx. 101 mm and weight of approx. 450 g provides excellent portability.
- Offers the shortest minimum focus distance*1 among full-frame/FX-format NIKKOR Z wide-angle zoom lenses — just 0.19 m, allowing users to get close to their subjects for dynamic expression.
- Provides high-speed AF and supports smooth focusing, even when shooting moving subjects and video.
- Equipped with a stepping motor (STM) for extremely quiet operation and fast response.
- Incorporates a control ring, to which settings such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned — realizing quiet, smooth operation even during video recording.
- Support for linear MF drive*2 enables smooth focusing.
- Designed to suppress focus breathing so that changes in the angle of view when focus is adjusted are reduced.
- The length of the lens barrel remains constant when zooming. This makes it easier to maintain balance during shooting, while also making the lens safer to carry.
- Designed with consideration for dust- and drip-resistance*3, and an antifouling coating applied to the front-most lens element.
|NIKKOR Z LENS SPECS|
|MINIMUM FOCUS DISTANCE||17 mm zoom position: 0.19 m (0.63 ft) 20 mm zoom position: 0.23 m (0.76 ft) 24 mm zoom position: 0.26 m (0.86 ft) 28 mm zoom position: 0.26 m (0.86 ft)|
|MOUNT TYPE||Nikon Z mount|
|MAXIMUM APERTURE||f/ 2.8|
|MINIMUM APERTURE||f/ 22|
|FOCUS MODE||Auto , Manual|
|WEIGHT (G) (BODY ONLY)*1||Approx. 450 g (15.9 oz)|
|DIMENSIONS (L X H X W) (MM)||Approx. 75 mm x 101 mm (3 in. x 4 in.)|
|ACCEPTS FILTER TYPE||67 mm (P = 0.75 mm)|
|LENS ELEMENTS||13 elements in 11 groups (including 2 ED elements, 1 super-ED element, 3 aspherical elements)|
|MAXIMUM REPRODUCTION RATIO||0.19 x|
|MINIMUM ANGLE OF VIEW (FULL-FRAME/FX-FORMAT)||104° to 75°|
|MINIMUM ANGLE OF VIEW (APS-C SIZE/DX-FORMAT)||79° to 53°|
|DIAPHRAGM BLADES||9 ( rounded diaphragm opening )|
|COMPATIBLE FORMAT(S)||Z Series|
|SUPPLIED ACCESSORIES||LC-67B Lens Cap (front cap), LF-N1 Lens Cap (rear cap), HB-107 Lens Hood, CL-C1 Lens Case|
The NIKKOR Z Lens Lineup Expansion to 2023
- *The contents of this lineup are subject to change without any notice or obligation on the part of the manufacturer.