In addition to the new Nikon Z fc DX format mirrorless camera, Nikon today also announced the new compact NIKKOR Z 28mm F2.8 (SE) and the development of a long-awaited NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR for DX format.
NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE): Nikon’s first ultra-compact and lightweight NIKKOR Z prime checks all the right boxes – it’s fast, fun and affordable. The NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE) will be first released as a special edition lens for the Z fc. This is the lightest FX lens yet, with a design inspired by classic NIKKOR glass to match the Z fc’s unique finish. The lens offers a standard angle of view (42mm-equivalent when attached to a DX body) that is ideal for shooting portraits and still photography with gorgeous, blurred backgrounds and excellent low-light performance. A standard edition of this lens is planned to be available within the year, along with the 40mm f/2.0 compact prime that is currently in development.
Development of NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR: Nikon is pleased to announce the development of the NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR, a high-power 7.8x zoom lens for APS-C format (Nikon DX-format) mirrorless cameras. The lens is scheduled for release during 2021. This will be a versatile lens for users looking to capture wide-angle to telephoto focal lengths as well as at short distances.
Nikon NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 Lens Key Features:
- Z-Mount Lens/DX Format
- 42mm (35mm Equivalent)
- Maximum Aperture: f/2.8
- Dual Stepping Motor AF System
- Vibration Reduction Image Stabilization
- Minimum Focus Distance: 7.56″
- Programmable Control Ring
- Filter Size: 52mm
Nikon releases the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE), a compact and lightweight prime lens for the Nikon Z mount system
Adoption of a heritage design that matches the Z fc camera
Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the release of the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE), a compact and lightweight prime lens that is compatible with full-frame (Nikon FX-format) mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted. It is also the kit lens for the Z fc, an APS-C size (Nikon DX-format) mirrorless camera also released today.
The NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE) is a compact and lightweight wide-angle prime lens with a heritage design that matches the Z fc body. When mounted on a DX-format camera, images can be captured at the standard 42 mm (equivalent to 35mm  format) angle of view. With a total length of approximately 43 mm and a weight of roughly 160 g, this lens is extremely portable. The NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE) is perfect not only for snapshots that take advantage of the 28 mm wide-angle of view, but also its minimum focus distance of 0.19 m enables close-up photography. It is a fast prime lens that can be easily carried around for everyday snapshots including landscapes, cityscapes, and other subjects.
The “(SE)” in the product name is short for “Special Edition”. The lens inherits its design from the classic NIKKOR lenses released around the same time as the Nikon FM2 film SLR camera. With features that faithfully reproduce the designs of that time, such as knurling, as well as a prominent control ring, the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE) conveys a classic atmosphere that matches the Z fc camera body. Moreover, thanks to its smooth autofocusing and a design with consideration of dust- and drip-resistant performance*, this lens is very easy and reliable to use, even for people who are new to mirrorless cameras.
Paired with the Z fc, the NIKKOR Z 28mm f/2.8 (SE) offers superior functionality when shooting, while also bringing aesthetic enjoyment to its users.
- Adoption of a heritage design that matches the Z fc.
- A compact and lightweight body with a total length of approximately 43 mm and weight of approximately 160 g.
- The fast f/2.8 maximum aperture reduces the effects of camera shake, even during hand-held shooting.
- The focal length becomes 42 mm (equivalent to 35mm  format) when mounted on a DX-format camera.
- A minimum focus distance of 0.19 m allows users to get close to their subjects for dynamic photography.
- The first NIKKOR Z lens that is not part of the S-Line*1 series for which a multi-focusing system*2has been adopted, realizing natural rendering across the entire shooting range, as well as fast and accurate AF control, while maintaining a smaller body size.
- Designed with consideration of dust- and drip-resistant performance so that it can be taken anywhere with greater confidence.
- Functions such as aperture and exposure compensation can be assigned to the control ring.
- Developed with consideration for video recording with extremely quiet operation, effective focus-breathing compensation, and stable exposure.
- *1The S-Line is a grade of NIKKOR Z lenses that demonstrate outstanding optical performance, adhering to a high standard of design principles and quality control.
- *2Multiple AF drive units work together to control the position of multiple focus lens groups with great precision for superior image formation performance regardless of shooting distance.
Nikon is developing the NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR, a high-power zoom lens for the Nikon Z mount system
Nikon Corporation (Nikon) is pleased to announce the development of the NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR, a high-power zoom lens for APS-C-format (Nikon DX-format) mirrorless cameras for which the Nikon Z mount has been adopted. The lens is scheduled for release during 2021.
The NIKKOR Z DX 18-140mm f/3.5-6.3 VR will support the shooting of a wide range of scenes — from wide-angle to telephoto focal lengths — as well as at short distances. This lens will be a compact and lightweight high-power zoom lens that will enable the shooting of still images and videos in a variety of situations, offering greater flexibility in imaging expression.