NAB Show 2018: Leica officially announced the new Leica Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16-35mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH. Lens for Leica full-frame L-mount mirrorless cameras. The US price is $5,495 and it is now available for pre-order at B&H and Adorama. Shipping will start on April 23, 2018.
A new firmware update for the Leica SL, Version 3.2, will also be released on April 23rd.
Leica SL 16-35mm f/3.5-4.5 ASPH Lens Features:
- Super wide-angle view – Perfect for capturing everything in the scene – Great for landscapes, but also architecture, wedding photography, concert photography, events, etc.
- Versatile enough for general photography when reaching 35 mm on the zoom range.
- Newly designed optical system consisting of a total of 18 elements in 12 groups to control distortion well.
- Almost silent and very fast focusing as the glass element that moves inside to focus the lens is very lightweight.
- Lens has Leica Aquadura coating which protects the exposed lens surface from dirt and scratching. Seals on the front element, the focusing ring and the bayonet ensure that the lens mounted on the camera is protected from the elements.
- The barrel does not extend when zooming. This contributes to the ruggedness of the lens as there are less external moving parts.
- This lens rounds out the SL zoom lens lineup, giving users 3 vary lenses in the lineup that combine to offer a range of 16-280 mm.
- Meticulously crafted to the highest quality standards, with a primary focus on high-grade materials and durability.
- Lens hood matched to prevent light from entering the lens from the sides. A perfectly calculated lens hood is essential for maximum contrast in every lighting situation.
- Made in Germany, with a delivery scope that includes lens hood, lens caps and lens bags
VERSATILE WIDE-ANGLE LENS: SUPER-VARIO-ELMAR-SL 16–35/3.5–4.5 ASPH. EXPANDS THE SL-SYSTEM
The Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16–35/3.5–4.5 ASPH. wide-angle zoom lens complements the previously available portfolio of two zoom lenses for the Leica SL. Its range of focal lengths is ideal for a diversity of uses, ranging from landscape and architectural photography, wedding, event, and concert photography to reportage and documentary photography. In combination with the familiarly high product quality and imaging performance, its protected construction and special AquaDura® lens coating make this lens an ideal companion for professional photographers at all times, even in adverse weather conditions.
In addition to excellent imaging quality throughout the entire range of focal lengths and at all apertures, the high-performance lens also offers simultaneously fast and quiet autofocus. This is driven by a specially developed focusing drive comprising a stepping motor and linear positioning and moves a single, very light focusing element that, due to its low mass, contributes to the high focusing speed.
The newly designed optical system of the Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16–35/3.5–4.5 ASPH. contains a total of 18 elements in 12 groups. These include two asphericals for the correction of monochromatic aberrations Three elements made from glass with anomalous partial dispersion correct chromatic aberration, while an improved mount geometry and high-quality coating ensure optimum suppression of reflections and stray light within the optical system.
With the addition of the Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16–35/3.5–4.5 ASPH., the portfolio of zoom lenses for the Leica SL now covers a range of focal lengths from 16 to 280 mm. Together with the Vario-Elmarit–SL 24–90/2.8–4 ASPH. and the APO-Vario-Elmarit-SL 90–280f/2.8–4 this covers all typical genres of photography and enables particularly those photographers who need a high degree of flexibility to draw on a trio of exceptional lenses.
The Super-Vario-Elmar-SL 16–35/3.5–4.5 ASPH. will be on sale from 23 April.
A new firmware version for the Leica SL will also appear at the same time as the new wide-angle zoom lens. Version 3.2 integrates numerous wishes for general improvements requested by SL photographers:
- The Joystick can now be deactivated from the menu to prevent inadvertent changes to settings while the camera is in use
- Eco Mode can be set to reduce the power consumption of the camera
- The standard white balance value for daylight has been changed from 6600 K to 6500 K
- Various improvements have been made for entering text/numbers (e.g. at WiFi password)
- Compatibility with the Leica SF 60 System Flash and the SF C1 wireless flash controller
- Other bug fixes
Via: Leica Camera