DxOMark completed their tests and review of 24.2MP sensor inside the Panasonic Lumix S5 camera ($1,697): The Panasonic Lumix S5 gets an outstanding overall DxOmark score of 94 points, with a combination of 25.1 bits color depth, 14.5 EV dynamic range, and 2697 ISO low-light score.
Panasonic Lumix S5 Key Features:
- 24.2MP Full-Frame CMOS Sensor
- UHD 4K60 Video,10-Bit Internal Recording
- V-Log, HDR, and Dual Native ISO
- 2.36m-Dot 0.74x-Magnification OLED LVF
- 3.0″ 1.84m-Dot Free-Angle Touchscreen
- Contrast-Detect 225-Area DFD AF System
- 5-Axis Sensor-Shift Image Stabilization
- ISO 100-51200, Up to 7 fps Shooting
- 96MP High-Res Mode, Dual SD Card Slots
Conclusion from DxOMark:
Given the smaller and lighter body, not to mention the price difference, the Lumix DC-S5 looks like a highly tempting alternative to the Lumix DC-S1 for those on a tighter budget. However, while the Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 is a very capable performer, with practically the same output as the excellent Lumix DC-S1, it has slightly higher noise levels and fractionally worse low-light performance. That’s all relative, of course; the Panasonic Lumix DC-S5 is still a superb performer and remains an excellent choice for a wide range of genres.