DPReview has published their full in-depth review for the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III compact camera: The Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III achieved an excellent 81% overall score and Silver Award from the experts at DPReview. Combining incredible 4.2x zoom power (24-100mm equivalent) with 4K video capabilities, the Canon PowerShot G7 X Mark III camera makes it easy to create stunning videos and still images you will want to share with your friends, Social Media followers, and family.
From DPReview Conclusion:
The Canon PowerShot G7 X III is a compact, well-priced camera which offers very good image quality, a fast lens, good ergonomics and the ability to stream live video straight to YouTube. Its lens isn’t super-sharp at wide-angle, video autofocus is so-so, and live streaming is difficult to get working, but overall, it’s a good value for the money and well worth considering.
Those seeking a pocketable camera with a versatile lens that will perform better in low light than a typical compact. Vloggers.
Not so good for
Action and landscape photographers. Those who want an EVF for shooting outdoors.
What we like:
- Fast 24-100mm equiv. F1.8-2.8 lens
- Raw detail capture and noise levels among the best in class
- Pleasing JPEG color
- Flip-up LCD ideal for vlogging; touch features are well-implemented
- Good 4K video quality with little rolling shutter and no crop
- 30 fps Raw burst mode
- Built-in ND filter
- Live video streaming
- Vertical video capture
- External mic input
- Reliable wireless connectivity
What we don’t:
- Lens is soft at wide end
- Subject tracking not available in burst mode
- Autofocus tends to hunt when capturing video
- No 24p support (yet)
- Video on the soft side
- 10 minute 4K video limit
- Below average battery life
- Live streaming is frustrating to set up and often unreliable
- Can only charge over USB with USB-PD chargers or power banks
- No EVF like closest (but more expensive) competitor, the Sony RX100 VA