What we like:
- Good image quality, nice JPEG colors
- Compact and light, especially for a DSLR
- Genuinely useful ‘guide mode’ for beginners
- Good build quality
- Comfortable grip, generally good controls
- Dual Pixel autofocus in live view is great, the viewfinder system is okay
- Great battery life using the viewfinder
- Strong wireless connectivity options
What we don’t:
- Viewfinder may be small for some users
- Battery life is only ‘okay’ using live view
- No USB charging
- Video quality is unimpressive
- No in-camera Raw processing
- Good smartphones will convincingly blur backgrounds better than the SL3’s kit lens will allow
Conclusion from DPReview:
The Canon EOS Rebel SL3 is a great option for beginners that are looking to get serious about photography. It’s comfortable to hold, fun to use, and has a useful guide mode to help you learn photography’s basics in real time. The optical viewfinder is small but adds flexibility and image quality is solid. Video quality is sub-par and users may eventually grow out of the simplified controls, but for its intended market, the SL3 is good value for money and will reward you with great photographs.
Casual family and social photographers, travel photographers and those looking to start learning the basics of photography.
Not so good for
More advanced users that will miss more greater control and customization options, those looking for better video quality and those wanting to shoot fast action.
Read the full review at DPReview.