The new Canon EOS 90D DSLR camera, EOS M6 Mark II mirrorless camera, RF 15-35mm f/2.8L IS USM and RF 24-70mm f/2.8L IS USM Lenses are now officially announced.
The EOS 90D and EOS M6 Mark II include many core features that are identical and hold true to Canon’s imaging excellence. These features include:
- 32.5 Megapixel CMOS(APS-C) Sensor
- DIGIC 8 Image Processor
- 4K UHD up 30p and 1080p FHD up 120p video recording with no crop
- Dual Pixel CMOS AF in Live View with 5,481 manually selectable AF positions
- Electronic shutter with a minimum of up to 1/16000
- Built-in Wi-Fiii and Bluetooth Technology
The Performance DSLR Way: The EOS 90D
The EOS 90D DSLR camera is ideal for the advanced-amateur photographer who values the look-and-feel of the DSLR body and benefits such as an optical viewfinder, 3.0-inch vari-angle touch screen LCD, addition of the multi-controller and a shutter button feel of professional EOS cameras. Now capable of shooting up to 10 frames-per-second (fps), a drastic increase from the 7.0 fps with the EOS 80D, users can capture all of the action on the sidelines of a football game or wildlife while on safari. Assisting in a photographers’ ability to capture the action is the 45-point all-cross type AF system, 100 percent viewfinder coverage and now supports up to 27 points in f/8 metering. In addition, the new AE sensor boasts an impressive 220,000 pixels and utilizes EOS iTR AF (face priority) detection. Together, these two features allow for the detection and tracking of faces in various environments and shooting situations while using the viewfinder.
The Compact-and-Lightweight Way: The EOS M6 Mark II
Bringing the controls and functionality of a Canon EOS DSLR into a compact mirrorless camera, the EOS M6 Mark II is destined to wow advanced-amateur photographers. With its enhanced usability, the EOS M6 Mark II is capable of shooting up to 14fps with AF and AE tracking as well as capturing a remarkable 30fps when using RAW Burst Mode with pre-shooting capabilities. The camera also features touch-and-drag AF when using the optional EVF-DC2 electronic viewfinderiv. A popular and notable benefit of Canon mirrorless cameras allows photographers to select AF positions with the touch of a finger. The EOS M6 Mark II also includes Canon’s Dual Pixel AF with Eye AF Servo to help ensure images are in sharp focus and a 3.0-inch, touch-panel LCD screen with tilt-option to help ensure a user’s portrait or selfie game is and stays on point.
RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM
As Canon’s first F2.8 wide zoom lens equipped with IS for full-frame with a CIPA standard of five stops, the RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM lens is furnished with edge-to-edge sharpness throughout the zoom range to capture clear images with high image clarity from the center of the image throughout the entire focal range. Speaking of focal range, the RF15-35mm is an ultra wide range that allows for broader photographic expression with more emphasis on perspective. Other components include:
- High Image quality has been achieved due to the large diameter mount and shorter back focus of the EOS R system.
- Total size of the lens is equivalent to the existing EF lens, but allows for IS, wider field of view and the control ring indicative of the RF lenses.
- Drip and dust resistant and ideal for landscape, architecture, nature, sports and portrait photography needs.
RF24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM
Created for a wide range of shooting scenarios from street scene snapshots to movie shooting, the RF24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM lens remains portable while equipped with IS. Other components include:
- Equivalent to the size of the EF counterpart but with Image Stabilization.
- High speed and high precision Nano USM motor for accurate, silent focus operation for stills and moving shooting.
- Takes moving shooting into account with focus breathing suppression during manual focus operation, sensitivity setting during MF operation, usage of the focus ring is adjustable and customization of the control ring to assign aperture, shutter speed, ISO speed and exposure compensation as desired.
Free Firmware Update
In addition, a new, free downloadable firmware update will be released in late September for the EOS R system. Those interested can download the update for their respective system via the EOS R and EOS RP support pages. The update will improve three main functions:
- Eye detection AF
- AF frame display delay
- Subject identification
The firmware update aims to add detection of the subject’s eye when the subject is at a distance, improve overall AF frame tracking for moving subjects, as well as improve initial subject recognition and start tracking when subjects are at a distance.
Pricing and Availability
The Canon EOS 90D is scheduled to be available mid-September 2019 for an estimated retail price of $1199.00 for body only, $1349.00 for EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM kit and $1599.00 for EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS USM kit*. The EOS M6 Mark II is scheduled to be available late September 2019 in both black and silver for an estimated retail price of $849.99 for body only, $1099.00 for EF-M 15-45mm f3.5-6.3 IS STM and EVF-DC2 kit and $1349.00 for EF-M 18-150mm f3.5-6.3 IS STM and EVF-DC2 kit*.
The Canon RF15-35mm F2.8 L IS USM and RF24-70mm F2.8 L IS USM lenses are both scheduled to be available in late September 2019 for an estimated retail price of $2,299.00* each. To complete the trinity of F2.8 lenses, the RF70-200mm F2.8 L IS USM lens is scheduled to be shipping within the second half of 2019 – stay tuned! For additional information, please visit, usa.canon.com.