DxOMark published their full review and test results for the Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 FE lens. Tested on Sony a7R, the Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 lens earned an DxOMark score of 39 points, with a combination of 27 P-Mpix Sharpness, 1.8 TStop Transmission, 0.4% Distortion, -2.3 EV Vignetting and 5μm Chr.aberration.
Conclusion from DxOMark:
While not cheap, the $1,199 Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 offers good value for money, considering the solid Zeiss construction, features, and performance. On the A7R, it’s not quite as sharp as the similarly-priced Sony FE 90mm f/2.8, but sharpness is still very good. What’s more, with improved light transmission thanks to that faster f/1.8 maximum aperture, the Zeiss lens is better suited for low-light event photography, as well as creative portraiture, over the Sony. We can’t wait to pit the Zeiss Batis 85mm and the Sony FE 90mm against the new Sony 85mm f/1.4GM just as soon as we get one in the lab.
Comparison: Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 vs. Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 vs. Sony FE 90mm f/2.8G OSS:
Note: You can now join the Sony Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Sony photography and advice, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
- Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 Lens Review at DxOMark: Wide-angle Prime King
- Zeiss Batis 25mm f/2 & 85mm f/1.8 Hands-on Review Video
- Zeiss Batis 85mm and Loxia 21mm Lenses Will be Released on February 4
- Zeiss Batis 85mm f/1.8 Lens in Stock at B&H Now!
- Zeiss Batis 18mm f/2.8 Lens Coming Soon, Sharper than Batis 25mm Lens!