Jordan Steele at AdmiringLight published his Sony Zeiss FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Planar T* lens review saying that this new Sony Zeiss FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA lens is the finest 50mm lens he has ever used and this lens handily outperforms the already rather exceptional FE 55mm f/1.8: extremely impressive!
The cons list is short, and show really the only two things that are bad about the lens: it’s quite big, and it’s quite expensive. If you can get past those, there’s absolutely nothing left to worry about. Optically, this is the finest 50mm lens I’ve ever used, and is among the finest lenses of any focal length I’ve ever used. It’s exceptionally sharp across the entire frame right from f/1.4, and somehow gets even a bit sharper at smaller apertures. The bokeh is excellent and it controls almost all aberrations extremely well. The lens handily outperforms the already rather exceptional FE 55mm f/1.8: extremely impressive. Read the full review…
- Excellent build quality with great control haptics
- Fast and accurate autofocus
- Truly exceptional sharpness, straight from f/1.4
- Very pleasing bokeh
- Excellent control of chromatic aberration
- Low distortion
- Very good flare control
- Outstanding color and contrast
- Large and Heavy
Below are links to all current 50mm FE lenses:
- Sony FE 24-70mm f/2.8 GM Lens Review by AdmiringLight: Truly Remarkable!
- Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens ePHOTOzine Review: Excellent Performer!
- Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 Lens (Sony E-mount) Review at DxOMark: An Excellent Performer
- Sony a7SII Sensor Review at DxOMark: Impressive Low-Light Performance
- LensRentals: Sony Planar T* FE 50mm f/1.4 ZA Lens is Absolutely Superb!