Surprise: Sony just announced the new RX10 III camera and two new FE lenses: Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens and Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 Lens.
Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens: $1,198 at B&H, Adorama.
The new Sony RX10 III camera (replacement for the RX10II) comes with a newly-developed 24-600mm equivalent F2.4-4 zoom lens capable of capturing 4K video using a 1-inch 20.1-million-pixel stacked sensor.
Sony DSC-RX10 III Key Features:
- Featuring newly developed ZEISS Vario-Sonnar T* 24-600mm F2.4-4 large-aperture high-magnification zoom lens
- High-fidelity capture of image detail and fast readout with 20.1MP 1.0-type stacked CMOS sensor with DRAM chip and BIONZ X processor
- 4K recording with full pixel readout and no pixel binning and extensive video functions including S-Gamut/S-Log2 for compatibility with professional movie editing workflow
- Ultra telephoto super slow motion recording at up to 1000fps
- Fast Intelligent AF achieves 0.09-second fast autofocus to capture decisive moments
- RX10 III Price: $1,498
Sony also annnounced the new 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS and 50mm f/1.8 FE lenses:
The new FE 70-300mm F4.5-F5.6 G OSS zoom lens represents the first Sony α E-mount lens to reach a 300mm focal length, featuring high resolution and excellent overall optical performance throughout the entirety of its range. The new 50mm F1.8 prime lens is extremely compact, lightweight and affordably priced, making it an ideal choice for those looking to explore the benefits of a large aperture prime lens at a reasonable cost.
New FE 70-300mm F4.5 – 5.6 G OSS Telephoto Zoom Lens
Sony’s longest reaching E-mount lens to date, the new FE 70-300mm F4.5 – 5.6 G OSS telephoto zoom lens (model SEL70300G) features a state-of-the-art optical design including four aspherical glass elements, two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and Sony’s Nano AR coating, which all work together to effectively suppress spherical aberration, distortion, and chromatic aberration. This ensures beautiful high-resolution results for both still and video shooting.
The new telephoto zoom lens also features class-leading close-up performance, with a minimum focusing distance of less than 3 feet (0.9m) and a maximum magnification of 0.31x, making it an ideal choice for tele-macro photography. This outstanding close-up performance also factors into the lens’ excellent corner-to-corner sharpness.
The versatile zoom lens includes built-in Optical SteadyShot image stabilisation that helps to reduce camera shake, making it easier to capture clear images when shooting handheld. Additionally, the new SEL70300G model has a linear actuator that allows it to achieve fast, smooth and quiet autofocus and is also dust and moisture resistant1 to ensure reliable operation in harsh outdoor conditions.
- Telephoto zoom 70-300mm lens is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, however, it can also be used with APS-C models where it provides a 105-450mm equivalent focal length range.
- Four aspherical elements pair with two extra-low dispersion elements to minimize both spherical and chromatic aberrations throughout the zoom range for sharper, clearer imagery.
- A Nano AR Coating has been applied to reduce surface reflections, flare, and ghosting for increased contrast and more accurate color rendering.
- Optical SteadyShot image stabilization helps to minimize the appearance of camera shake for sharper imagery when shooting handheld with slower shutter speeds.
- A linear actuator offers fast, precise, smooth, and silent autofocus performance that is ideal for video applications as well as stills shooting.
- An internal focusing design helps to quicken focusing speeds as well as maintain the overall length of the lens when focusing for more intuitive handling.
- A dedicated AF/MF switch lets you quickly switch between auto and manual focusing methods.
- Focus range limiter lets you constrain the usable focusing range to either 9.8′ to infinity or the full range of 3′ to infinity.
- Focus hold button can be used to stop the autofocus system when more control over focusing on a particular subject is desired.
- Rounded nine-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
- Dust- and moisture-resistant construction benefits working in harsh environments.
New FE 50mm F1.8 Prime Lens
Weighing in at less than 7oz (192g), the new lightweight FE 50mm F1.8 “normal” prime lens (model SEL50F18F) delivers an outstanding blend of performance, compactness and value, making it a perfect choice for hobbyist photographers and videographers looking to experience the benefits of a wide aperture prime lens at an attainable cost.
The lens features a new optical design with an aspherical element that effectively compensates for all forms of aberration, resulting in beautiful, crisp imagery. Additionally, it has a circular aperture with a maximum of F1.8, producing beautiful ‘bokeh’ in images that allows the subject to stand out against a smoothly defocused background. For extended durability, the new prime lens is built with a solid metal mount.
- Normal-length 50mm prime lens is designed for full-frame Sony E-mount mirrorless cameras, however, can also be used with APS-C models where it will provide a 75mm equivalent focal length.
- Fast f/1.8 maximum aperture benefits working in difficult lighting conditions and also avails greater control over focus placement for working with shallow depth of field techniques.
- One aspherical element minimizes spherical aberrations for improved clarity and sharpness.
- Double-gauss optical configuration helps to reduce field curvature and distortions for more consistent image quality from edge-to-edge.
- DC actuator offers quick, quiet, and accurate autofocus performance to suit both stills and video applications.
- Metal bayonet offers increased durability and a solid feel when mounting the lens.
- Rounded seven-blade diaphragm contributes to a pleasing bokeh quality.
Pricing and Availability
The new FE 70-300mm F4.5 – 5.6 G OSS telephoto zoom lens will be available in May for about $1,200 US and $1,700 CA, respectively.
The new FE 50mm F1.8 prime lens will also be available in May for about $250 US and $350 CA, respectively.
Both of the new FE interchangeable lenses will be sold at a variety of Sony authorized dealers throughout North America.
A variety of exclusive stories and exciting new content shot with the new lenses and other Sony α products can be found atwww.alphauniverse.com , Sony’s new community site built to educate, inspire and showcase all fans and customers of the Sony α brand.
Content is also available for viewing at the sony.com product pages for the FE 70-300mm F4.5 – 5.6 G OSS telephoto zoom lens and the FE 50mm F1.8 prime lens.
Note: If you are a Sony Camera User, you can now join the Sony Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Sony photography and advice, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
Sony Camera Users: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SonyCameraUsers
- Sony RX100 IV and RX10 II Announced with 4K Video
- Olympus ED 300mm f/4 IS PRO Lens and Stylus Tough TG-870 Camera Announced
- Sony A6300 Camera and G Master Lenses are now Available for Pre-order
- New Sony FE and Zeiss FE Lenses to be Announced in Mid October, 2015
- New Firmware Update Version 1.20 for Sony RX10 II and Sony RX100 IV