John Riley at ePHOTOzine published the Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS lens review saying this 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS (Amazon, B&H, Adorama) is an excellent telephoto zoom lens for Sony E mount cameras but it is rather pricey!
The lens fills a real need in the Sony full frame E mount range. Handling is excellent, performance is very good throughout, albeit tailing off at the edges as we zoom in. However, it is rather pricey at the current level.
Set this against its usefulness and ease of use and we still end up with an attractive proposition and a unique optic for Sony E mount users.
- Generally very good sharpness
- Central CA almost eliminated
- Ease of use
- OSS system
- Well made
- Unique focal length for E mount
Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS Cons
- Edges soften as we zoom in
- Edge CA high
- High price
Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS is really a great telephoto zoom lens for sports and wildlife photography. It features a state-of-the-art optical design including four aspherical glass elements, two ED (Extra-low Dispersion) glass elements and Sony’s Nano AR coating, which all work together to effectively suppress spherical aberration, distortion, and chromatic aberration. This ensures beautiful high-resolution results for both still and video shooting. The new Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS is priced at $1,198, a little expensive!
The new Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS and FE 50mm f/1.8 lenses are now in stock and shipping at most US stores:
- Sony FE 85mm f/1.4 GM Lens Review at ePHOTOzine: “Superb in Every Respect”
- Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens Sample Images
- Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 Lens (Sony E-mount) Review at DxOMark: An Excellent Performer
- Sony FE 50mm f/1.8 and 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS Lenses now in Stock!
- Pre-orders: Sony RX10 III, FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 and 50mm f/1.8