The 50mm lens is a universally useful optic and the ability to continue to focus right down to life size is very appealing indeed. The Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 macro lens is an excellent performer and a pleasure to use, at a realistic price.
Handling and Features: There is no doubt that handling is excellent. Focus locks on reliably, the image in the viewfinder or on the monitor is clear and it is a pleasure to enjoy again the simplicity of just having that one standard lens to shoot with. A wide variety of subjects can be attempted.
Performance: Sharpness at the centre is simply excellent at all apertures.
The Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro lens is compatible with Sony full frame and APS-C mirrorless cameras. And it seems to be the only macro lens for full frame E mount cameras in this focal length. But, in fact, up to now there are five 50mm FE lenses in the market, below are links to all current 50mm FE lenses:
- Sony FE 90mm f/2.8 Macro G OSS Lens ePHOTOzine Review: Excellent!
- Sony FE 70-300mm f/4.5-5.6 G OSS Lens ePHOTOzine Review: Excellent but Pricey!
- Zeiss Loxia 50mm f/2 Lens (Sony E-mount) Review at DxOMark: An Excellent Performer
- Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens Officially Announced, Price $498
- Sony FE 50mm f/2.8 Macro Lens now in Stock and Shipping in the US