The previous rumor said Sony will announce one new FE STF lens by the end of 2016. And if the rumor from SonyAlphaRumors is correct, this Sony FE STF lens will be FE 100mm f/2.8 GM STF Autofocus Lens. This lens will have autofocus and it is expected to be announced by the end of 2016, probably at Photokina 2016 in September.
If you don’t know what “STF” stands for, you can see the description from B&H:
Sony’s Smooth Trans Focus (STF) technology has a very unique effect on defocused light sources, changing the way defocused areas appear depending on how it is adjusted. Smooth Trans Focus (STF) employs a special “apodization” element that controls the parts of the image that are not in focus. This does not affect the focused part of the image, only what is out of focus, and is set independently from the camera’s focus and aperture via the STF ring.
Links to all Sony GM lenses:
- New Zeiss Batis Telephoto Prime Lens Coming in Late 2016
- Nikon 70-200mm f/2.8G ED VR II Lens Replacement Coming in Late 2016
- New Sony Products Coming at CES 2016: A99II, A6100 and FE Lenses?
- Canon EF 200-600 f/4.5-5.6 IS Lens in Testing, Coming in Late 2016
- Sony CES Press Conference on January 5th, 2016, New FE Lenses and A6100 Coming?