DxOMark published their Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art lens (for Canon EF) review and test results: Tested on the Canon EOS 7D Mark II, the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art lens achieved an outstanding overall score of 27 points, with a combination of 14 P-Mpix Sharpness, 2 TStop Transmission, 0.1% Distortion, -1.3 EV Vignetting and 6μm Chr.aberration – this Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art lens has excellent sharpness (the sharpest zoom lens) and excellent low-light performance (best in class).
“Achieving an overall score of 27 points, the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 A is one of the best-performing zoom lenses we’ve tested on the EOS 7D Mark II, thanks to its constant f/1.8 maximum aperture, and its bright 2 TStop light transmission that ensures great low-light results.
Scoring 14 P-MPix, it’s also the sharpest zoom lens we’ve tested for the Canon APS-C mount, including both APS-C and full-frame EF-mount Canon L-series lenses.”
- Constant f/1.8 maximum aperture
- Excellent sharpness — best in class
- Excellent low-light performance — best in class
- Tripod collar
- Manual focus override
- No optical image stabilizer
- Big and heavy
Conclusion from DxOMark:
A versatile telephoto lens choice for shooting a variety of subjects including sports, events, and portraits, the Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 A’s great light transmission makes it the best-performing zoom lens for the Canon APS-C that we’ve tested. Sharpness is very good, too, with excellent results at f/1.8, although it’s not a massive improvement over the Sigma 50-150mm f/2.8 at f/2.8 (and indeed, the older Sigma APS-C telephoto is marginally better at the narrower f/4 and f/5.6 apertures).
With very good lens metrics for distortion, vignetting, and chromatic aberration as well, however, the new Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 A stacks up as a high-performing all-round telephoto zoom that’s worthy of the high price tag for Canon APS-C shooters.
Note: Join the Sigma Users Facebook Group to share your Sigma photography and advice, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
- Sigma 85mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens Review (by ePHOTOzine): Excellent Sharpness!
- Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens (Canon) DxOMark Review: Super Sharp!
- Sigma 20mm f/1.4 DG HSM Art Lens (for Canon) Review at DxOMark: An Exceptional Performer
- Sigma 12-24mm f/4 DG HSM Art Lens DxOMark Review: Wide, Cheap, Good
- Sigma 50-100mm f/1.8 DC HSM Art Lens Sample Images