Roger Cicala at LensRentals has completed the MTF bench tests of the new Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED lens ($2,196.95) saying that this is the sharpest f/1.4 lens Nikon has made from the MTF standpoint.
The optical bench confirms very nicely what the early reviews have said: this is an exceptionally sharp lens edge-to-edge. Optically, it’s probably the best thing Nikon has put out in several years; it’s a genuinely world-class optic. It’s not inexpensive, but it is less expensive than a lot of other lenses that have optical quality like this.
Here are some comparison charts (Nikon 105mm f/1.4E compared with several different lenses):
Zeiss Otus 85mm f/1.4 vs Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED:
Nikon 105mm f/2.8G AF-S VR Micro ($896.95) vs Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED:
Read the full MTF tests at LensRentals.
This new NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E lens is ideal for professional and advanced enthusiast photographers, especially those capturing portraiture, from in-studio fashion to a golden hour engagement session on the beach. For those seeking the ultimate in image quality in photography or videography, there’s no close second.
- New Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED Lens to be Announced Soon!
- Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED Lens now in Stock!
- Nikon 105mm f/1.4E ED Lens Review (by LensRentals): An Ode to Nikon’s Best Lens
- Nikon AF DC-NIKKOR 105mm f/2D Lens Listed as Discontinued
- Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 105mm f/1.4E ED Lens Officially Announced