We already reported the breaking news that Sony will add uncompressed 14-Bit RAW on the new Sony a7SII and Sony a7RII (via firmware update), and later to many more cameras. Today Sony Japan official website announced that it will release a firmware update for Sony a7RII to add the uncompressed 14-Bit RAW in mid October.
And DPReview has got the access to uncompressed Raw files to make clear the benefits of the newly-added uncompressed Raw option.
1) No Artifacts on high contrast edges: “no longer introduce errors and artefacts around high-contrast edges.” “And it’s gone: the artefacts present in the compressed Raw file are completely absent in the newly uncompressed files.”
2) No significant difference in dynamic range: “There’s possibly a tiny improvement if you try to brighten very deep shadows”.
3) Twice size
4) True 14-Bit files
5) Unclear on continuous shooting
Read more: Sony Camera Rumors
Follow Sony a7RII on Facebook:
Note: If you are a Sony Camera User, you can now join the Sony Camera Users Facebook Group to share your Sony photography and advice, ask and answer questions that arise and help each others!
Sony Camera Users: https://www.facebook.com/groups/SonyCameraUsers
- Sony a7RII Firmware Update Version 1.10 Released, Download Now!
- Sony a7SII, a7RII to Have Uncompressed 14-Bit RAW, 8 New FE Lenses Coming
- The Benefits of Sony’s Newly-Added Uncompressed 14-Bit RAW
- Sony a7RII Reviewed by Ken Rockwell: It’s for Hobbyist and Not for Photographers
- Sony a7RII Real World Reviews